Discussion Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) in Khon Kaen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 10 at 12:52
Wed 24 Mar 10, 10:51 am

Thanks for posting this, David!

Quote Posted: Today at 10:11 - IP: 61.91.165.244 by davidthai  Regular Contributor
Alcoholics Anoymous is very strong in Khon Kaen , we have meetings on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday , it does work , i was a raving insane Alcoholic for the first 30 years of my life and now i have been sober for 26 years plus , we are not a god organisation or temperance society , we are from all walks of life, religions and nationality if you have a problem and would like to know how to stop and have a better life please PM me , the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking
Vicco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 10 at 13:10
I see that my mention of buying wine in 5 liter boxes prompted Rex to revitalize some interest in AA.  First of all, I can say categorically that my 5 liter boxes are not indicative of a drinking problem.. One box lasts about 4-6 weeks..LOL  I enjoy a drink most days but I can take it or leave it  any time.
Having said that, I think AA is a truly excellent organization.  I have known several people who would likely have died way before their time if they had not found it and been helped to stop drinking. I have noticed a great deal of excessive drinking here in LOS....

Quote: Skywalker
But I think the nights I drink are caused by more than just fitting in socially.  I think it's a crutch to combat the occasional feelings of powerlessness I experience as an expat with basically no rights.  Also, boredom at times.  Thank God I have a great marriage and job, otherwise I would probably leave Thailand ASAP.
Quote:

I think this quote says a great deal about the problem for many people.  Boredom and the need for companionship seem to be the main factors driving guys to drink so much. Some people are just more vulnerable than others.  Some people are just more "addictive" than others and some are more diciplined than others etc.    I feel lucky because I don't seem to get really hooked on anything.  I used to start and stop smoking without difficulty and booze has no particular attraction except for having a relaxing glass of wine or sake around dinner time.  I don't know if my resistance to addiction is because of some kind of body chemistry or just the shear terror of addiction after seeing what it can do to people.  If  excess drinking was the price to fit in socially, I would choose to be a hermit..... Being alone and lonely are two very different conditions, but there are many who seem to think they are the same thing.

"We are like sheep without a shepard
we don't know how to be alone
so we wander through this desert
and follow all the wrong Gods home"
(From: Learn to be Still---The Eagles 1994)

Vicco

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it." - George Bernard Shaw
rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 10 at 13:56
Five liters of wine every 4-6 weeks certainly  falls well within the range of "moderation."   Unless, of course, one drinks it all on one or two weekend binges, and unless one is drinking other types of alcohol in addition.

Many people are quite surprised to discover what "moderation" actually means, and how little booze it actually describes.  Different sources use slightly different formulas, but they are all similar; something like a maximum of 12 drinks per week (12 shots of whiskey, or 12 beers, or 12 glasses of wine), and no more than 4 drinks in any one day.

Aloha,

Rex
SkyyWalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyyWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 10 at 16:50
"Boredom and the need for companionship seem to be the main factors driving guys to drink so much. Some people are just more vulnerable than others. " - Vicco

Throw in "lady" problems and the emotional, psychological and financial disaster that often come with, and you have fertile ground for excessive drinking/drugging-seen it WAY too often around here. 

rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 10 at 22:38
Wed 24 Mar 10, 8:38 pm

The most recents posts in this thread were originally at "Top & Bottom 3" and moved here by request.
tcris52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcris52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 10 at 22:59
Originally posted by davidthai davidthai wrote:

Alcoholics Anoymous is very strong in Khon Kaen , we have meetings on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday , it does work , i was a raving insane Alcoholic for the first 30 years of my life and now i have been sober for 26 years plus , we are not a god organisation or temperance society , we are from all walks of life, religions and nationality if you have a problem and would like to know how to stop and have a better life please PM me , the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking ,

I quit drinking in 1987 and have had no desire to go back. I thought I had no need of AA since I had "beat" the problem. However, I still had a lot of problems that I didn't consider...what got me drinking in the first place. It took another ruined marriage (number 3) to get me to see the light.

Part of the problem with my perception of AA is that I saw them as "God-centered", for want of a better term, and I was a Buddhist; have been since I was here in 1968 in the Army. Sure, I heard about the door knob as the higher power but that didn't appeal to me either. A couple years ago I ran across a book called "12 Steps on the Buddha's Path: Bill, Buddha, and We" by Laura S (ISBN 0-86171-281-1). She relates the 12-step process in terms of Buddhism...non-theistically. I would recommend the book to anybody who is having the problem accepting AA for the reasons I did. 

Good luck to you who are looking for a way out.

Tony
davidthai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidthai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 10 at 23:56
Rex
The links for AA below on the post dated 23/12/05 are correct which give the current times and places of meetings and contacts
The chart is incorrect and needs to be updated with the same details on the schedule of the AA link .
rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 10 at 11:27

Fri 26 Mar 10, 9:24 am

Thanks David.  The AA schedule has been updated.  Navigate back to the beginning of this thread.  Also, updated information about groups based upon a secular approach to recovery.  You will also have to navigate back to the original thread on page 1.

Aloha,

Rex
baby maker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baby maker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 10 at 12:35

"We are like sheep without a shepard
we don't know how to be alone
so we wander through this desert
and follow all the wrong Gods home"
(From: Learn to be Still---The Eagles 1994)
Vicco.

unlike others i have learnt little from this fiasco....called life...

the journey has been from innocence to knowledge....and hopefully will regain innocence again...an impossibility you say...lets wait and see....

in this thread, the truth stands irrefutable,
other wise, unknown depths of members, would escape unseen...

THE SPIRITUAL aspect....where acknowledged....is some what left up2u...and perhaps rightly so....one can not walk through any door until they are ready....and this particular door takes courage...

what one confronts, is personal responsibility....spiritual responsibility...

and i am the least of men to lecture anyone on anything....personal or spiritual....

my life by any standard has been a disaster....and this can clearly be seen by some of my posts...the anger i bring...to a community that has abundance....nobody needs what i am selling...not even me...

it would be naive to try to say ''the problem'' is not a drinking problem...
                  i won't even go there [ a bottle of whisky a night, or as good as...now 3 ctns
                  of beer in 12 mths]

the problem that underlies this true social disaster, is...
                  spiritual....all the things we don't like about ourselves...that we project outwards...
                  that we blame on others....
                  to know one self, takes courage, honesty and power from above...

then to actually do something about it...takes surrender...
                  it is not of this world....

to those of you who are shaking your heads, and writing this off as delusion...

take comfort....one can go on being the same asshole, as they always have been..
i am living proof....but slowly but surely, a change is in the making....

once the knowledge is ''IN YOUR GUT'' you can not shake it off....you can deny it...
[but Hey! that's what we been doing....look how that's worked....]
and as sure as death, it will be dealt with.....better an early start than late....

go in peace...God bless     

Edited by baby maker - 28 Mar 10 at 08:56
Johnny View Drop Down
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 10 at 02:08
A couple years ago I ran across a book called "12 Steps on the Buddha's Path: Bill, Buddha, and We" by Laura S (ISBN 0-86171-281-1). She relates the 12-step process in terms of Buddhism...non-theistically.

Another great book on this subject is One Breath at a Time: Buddhism and the Twelve Steps by Kevin Griffin.

Ajahn Santikaro's  recently came here to do a workshop on "Buddhism and the 12 Steps.

Talks are downloadable here -

http://www.liberationpark.org/audiox/12step.htm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic