Rachawadee Resort & Spa

Search

Discussion Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Email notifications not working?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Abe Frohman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe Frohman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Email notifications not working?
    Posted: 28 Mar 11 at 14:35
Seems the email notify feature is not working (at least for me. Maybe everyone?) I sent another member a private message that he did not notice. (Presumably he was not notified by email that he had a private message.) He eventually replied to me but I got no notification (by email) that I had a private message. I've also not had any notifications recently about posts to topics I'm subscribed to.

I checked my Control Panel settings and my email address is still in there; nothing was changed there.

Anybody else having this problem?
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe Frohman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 11 at 14:37
P.S. Also noticed when posting the message above that the web clock seems to be an hour ahead.
Gdhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gdhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 11 at 15:36
Originally posted by Abe Frohman Abe Frohman wrote:

Seems the email notify feature is not working (at least for me. Maybe everyone?) I sent another member a private message that he did not notice. (Presumably he was not notified by email that he had a private message.) He eventually replied to me but I got no notification (by email) that I had a private message. I've also not had any notifications recently about posts to topics I'm subscribed to.

I checked my Control Panel settings and my email address is still in there; nothing was changed there.

Anybody else having this problem?

Yes Abe. Started for me around 2 weeks ago. 

One question are you using a HOTMAIL email address (as I did until this problem) because if so, I have found a pattern that may be common to you as well.

I did intensive investigations my end.  Removed all email blocking and filters on my main email account but to no avail (now I get loads of spam Cry until new blocks an filters set up ).   I then privately reported by PM to Rex who was sympathetic and advised he would refer to Admin (Doug?). and come back to me.

I have found ONE definite feature of this issue.   KKF are no longer forwarding ANY email notifications of any sort to my LONG TERM (5years) used (by KKF) HOTMAIL address  AND when I switched temporarily to my wife's HOTMAIL Email address same result; NO EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS

HOWEVER when I switched to my Google (gmail) email address I immediately started receiving ALL KKF email notifications as before.  

I have made this finding known to Rex about a week ago (as I do not wish to use my secondary gmail address) and am awaiting, hopefully, a positive solution as it seems certain there is now a conflict with KKF emails and all/SOME Hotmail addresses that started for some reason, 2-3 weeks ago after having always worked perfectly for me.

Of course that does not mean KKF is to blame or has changed something relevant as it could be Microsoft who have changed something or even an outside possibility that our ISP has (mine is 3BB)

My TEMPORARY FIX is to use my gmail address for KKF and set gmail to forward to my Hotmail address. This works perfectly but is obviously a patch/fix that should not be needed.

I do know Windows Firewall and my anti virus (Avira) are not involved as I switched them off during my testing (which was by sending myself PM's with "let me know when read option" ticked)

One GOOD thing is now a second KKF member has reported a problem with email notifications and it helps remove suspicions that problem was down to only my PC (or yours, Abe).

Regards, Dave

rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 11 at 17:54

Mon 28 Mar 2011, 3:50 pm

Unfortunately, Hotmail seems to be treating e-mail notifications as SPAM for some of our members  Angry .   I suggest that you check the SPAM folders/filters on your Hotmail account.

BTW, Doug is working night and day to sort this out, but until he is successful, suggest that you use gmail or some other provider that does not block our messages.

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

XeReX

Edited by rexall - 28 Mar 11 at 18:05

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe Frohman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 11 at 04:16
This does not appear to be a hotmail problem; I've never used hotmail with KK.com.

The email address I've been using (for years) is a Thaivisa.com domain. That domain is actually administered through Google's GMail. I also checked the spam folders and found no messages there from KK.com

Edited by Abe Frohman - 29 Mar 11 at 12:25
rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 11 at 09:19

Tue 29 Mar 2011, 7:18 am

If anyone else is experiencing this same problem with e-mail notifications, please let us know.  Thanks.  Abe, we are working on it.
KKAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KKAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 11 at 12:11
Hello everyone,

It's unfortunate that some individuals are experiencing e-mail notification issues with the forum. The forum is sending out e-mail just fine, I set my account email address to one of my Gmail accounts and it is receiving e-mail notifications. The forum does not differentiate between e-mail addresses, if it sends mail for one it is sending for all. KhonKaen.com is hosted in a shared web hosting environment, where many accounts share one server for web hosting and e-mail sending. Unfortunately, people sign up for accounts and use them in ways that are not quite legal. This triggers blocking of server IP addresses with SPAM blocking services. Hotmail is notorious for blocking e-mail from a suspect server. Other mail services can subscribe to this service and have mail blocked if a mail server is on a SPAM list. While KhonKaen.com does not necessarily SPAM, an account in the shared environment most likely got the e-mail server on a block list, which causes problems. Also, forums generate a large number of e-mail and the domains are sometimes automatically placed on SPAM lists. I will check into whether the web host can do anything about this, but Hotmail is a difficult one. thaivisa.com may use a SPAM blocking services for their e-mail accounts, I just really don't know. I would send an e-mail to the support contact for any e-mail service that is having issues, and see if they can set up a filter to allow e-mail from khonkaen.com to be delivered.
Doug - the KhonKaen.com Forum Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe Frohman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 11 at 16:59
I was going to play around with this and try tempoarily changing my email to another address, see if it works, then change it back to my current one and see if that starts working again. But after seeing the following notice on the EMail address field in my profile, I'm afraid if I change it I won't get the email I need to re-activate and will be locked out.

Email*
If you change your email address you will be sent an email to re-activate your account
KKAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KKAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 11 at 17:47
Abe,

Go ahead and try what you have planned. If you have any issues or troubles, send a note via the contact form and I will activate the account for you.
Doug - the KhonKaen.com Forum Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe Frohman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 11 at 19:19
I switched out the email address on my KhonKaen.com profile, and sent myself a private message. I did get an email notification.

Next, I switched the email address in my profile back to my original "@Thaivisa.com" address, then sent myself a private message again. I did not receive an email notification.

I'm using a POP3 email setup and Windows Live Mail 2011. Seems odd (if this is being caused by spam blockers at the email server level) that it would start happening on two different major services at the same time (hotmail.com AND Thaivisa/Gmail.com). If that is truly where the problem lies, is it because they share/subscribe to the same "block list?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic