Discussion Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Am I Doing the Right Thing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jogger View Drop Down
Newer Member
Newer Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I Doing the Right Thing?
    Posted: 13 May 12 at 08:13
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">

After 3 years of resisting all attempts to get me to teach English in local schools, I succumbed to the pressure at the end of last week and went to discuss it with a teacher & Director. I told them of my reservations about teaching – no teaching experience, no desire whatsoever to be a schoolteacher, very little confidence in my ability to teach in a school and my insistence that I would not give more than 2 days a week – but they said to give it a try. I think they’re quite desperate since their previous teacher has taken a job at another school just before start of term. I signed the application papers, gave a copy of my Passport & Bachelor’s Degree certificate and went on my way, still not convinced that I was doing the sensible thing from my perspective.

I’d be quite happy to teach very small groups of kids or, even better, adults and would probably be quite good at it – it’s the thought of the large classes that isn’t to my liking. I’ve been asked to help a local police officer with his English and that is quite appealing although the legality might be a bit “iffy” at this point.

I woke up this morning, Sunday, in a foul mood and the only reason I can think of is that I’m due to start teaching tomorrow. I don’t want to do it!! If I was keen, I’d be excited at this point, not grumpy.

In life, very little truly worries or fazes me but public performance is about the only situation that’s guaranteed to have me quaking in my boots. I see teaching as a public performance - I’ve been on the receiving end of teachers/university lecturers enough to know that a teacher whose heart isn’t really “in it” is pretty useless.

My grammar is quite good; despite having no training in the teaching of English grammar, I was well-taught at school & my diction is good when I want it to be, if a bit on the quiet side.

A strange thing is that a friend of mine, a Scotsman, is not qualified to teach in any respect other than being a native speaker. By his own acknowledgement, my English is far better than his. He’s also just been asked to teach and has jumped at the chance. For that simple reason, I think he’ll be a far better school teacher than I could ever be.

I’d rather bail-out now and let them find someone who wants to teach. The alternative is to give it a try but I’m 99% sure I’d quit before too long. Leaving at that point would, IMO, be far worse for the school.

Am I doing the right thing, in your opinion? I don’t think your replies will change anything but I’d be interested to hear your thoughts, nonetheless.

Sponsored Links

klinpree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinpree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 12 at 08:34
Jump ship quick..
mrmister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 12 at 10:32
If yo don't have to do it in order to make money (survive), and you don't like to do it (or have 2nd thoughts), don't do it.

rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 12 at 11:25
Why exactly have you "succumbed to the pressure" to do something you obviously don't want to do?  
TerryLH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 12 at 14:41
If you really don't want to teach, but feel like you now have some sort of an obligation to the school,there might be a solution.

Tell the school that you'll teach for a month.  Or any length of time you feel is reasonable.
-On the condition that they keep looking for a teacher.

Unless you decide you want to stay, stick to that date.

During the month, you'll have fulfilled your (perceived?) obligation, and helped them out when they were in a bind.  You'll also know if it's something you might like.  Stranger things have happened to people.

Look in the mirror and answer Rex's question honestly.  You might be surprised with your response.

Good luck.
Terry
tcris52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcris52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 12 at 14:59
Usually, if you ask, "Am I doing the right thing?", you're not.

I think Terry's answer is as good as any, but you will have to keep an open mind. Your mind is so much against it now that you almost can't help but have a bad experience. 

Teaching is not for everybody. I have taught for 4 years at the university level (undergraduate and graduate) and now I'm going to try at a mathayom (grades 7-12 for the west). I'm doing it to help out a school, but I'm also curious about teaching at that level after seeing the poor quality of some of the students we get at the university (maybe I can help). However, I did lay out some ground rules: no more than 15 hours/week; done by noon; no classes larger that 30 students; no reporting in/out - just teach when I have to teach. And, I want it in a contract. They agreed. Also, they added only listening and speaking; a Thai teacher will teach the reading and writing...hooray. My main concern is about class size; we'll see if they stick to that.

I'd say give it a try, but keep an open mind. You might just like it. There are a lot of trials, but there are also some rewards when you get those few students who really want to succeed.

Tony

klinpree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinpree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 12 at 15:44
Why the fcuk would anyone want to teach English here?
30,000 Bart Simpsons a month fcuk that..

TerryLH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 12 at 16:08
OP, except for that last post, notice how much more refined and polite we are here on KKF then the other website(s) you posted this topic on?

Terry
klinpree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinpree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 12 at 16:37
Open forum is it not?
Only stating my opinion that 30,000 is crap and why would any fukker want to teach here.
tcris52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcris52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 12 at 20:20
Originally posted by klinpree klinpree wrote:

Why the fcuk would anyone want to teach English here?
30,000 Bart Simpsons a month fcuk that..

For some of us, the important things in life are seldom measured in money. For those of you who have yet to discover this, you have my sympathies because I know you will never truly be happy until you do. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic