Rachawadee Resort & Spa

Search

Discussion Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thai Citizenship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
SkyyWalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyyWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 13:17
What are the consequences of obtaining Thai citizenship, here and in your native land? 
Kee Leum View Drop Down
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kee Leum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 15:41
Originally posted by TerryLH TerryLH wrote:

"It isn't even required now for myself to apply for the Thai citizenship as I'm married to a Thai."

Do you have a 'citizenship' coupon, or something?

If you really believe that, you're having delusions.

You said you are thinking of "stating (sic) the process".  That doesn't require applying, does it? 

I don't have the details at hand, but remember enough to know that you're way off base.

Pianoman
PM sent to you.
Terry
That bit you quoted, I'm referring to the residency permit.

I mean that "it(residency permit)  isn't required like it used to be for starting the Thai citizenship process. My writing isn't that bad is it?
Kee Leum View Drop Down
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kee Leum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 15:59
Originally posted by Vicco Vicco wrote:

Originally posted by Kee Leum Kee Leum wrote:

Originally posted by Pianoman Pianoman wrote:

Actually what you are talking about is a "Thai Resident Permit",  and not really "Thai Citizenship".....   When I looked into the procedure several years ago,  it was almost impossible for a "Retired" Farang to obtain such....   The main problem comes with the requirement to show Tax records showing that you have contributed to the Thai ecconomy....    Plus even with the "Resident Permit" you still have to deal with Thai Immigration as they require you obtain a Re-Entry permit prior to any travel outside of Thailand....

Pianoman

I'm not talking about the Residency permit - that's not really worth anything apart from not having to go to Immigration for 5 years. I looked into that before but that little square headed prime minister upped the cost from 9000 to 90,000. It isn't even required now for myself to apply for the Thai citizenship as I'm married to a Thai.
Thai CItizenship is much easier now than in the past - most folks here just can't be bothered with all the red tape. 
If my  Vietnames maid can get it in a couple of years living here then of course I can.

I don't known where you are getting this stuff from, but I have yet to meet one farang male (or even hear of one)  who has managed to get citizenship..   It is a relatively easy matter for females if they are married to a Thai man....but other than that it seems to be just about impossible.....even with red tape up the ying yang....so if you have information to the contrary; why not share it....I'm sure we are all wating with bated breath.

I've been here for a long time and have known 5 expats to get Thai citizenship. Only one of those I see now from time to time.
Where on earth do you get the idea(false) that it is impossible? 

Sure there are requirements -  for example -  you need to be able to speak adequate Thai, and you need to paying taxes on an average salary. There are  thousands of expat here who qualify.

The last guy that I know to get it basically bought it - he speaks Thai fluently but doesn't work here. He got it in less than a year.

Of course there is another important criteria -  if you know someone "big".  This is one option I'm thinking of using but, of course, that comes with some negative consequences. 

ArfurDaily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArfurDaily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 16:28
Hi Kee Leum & all. Many years ago i was quite interested in obtaining Thai Citizenship. 2 Things put me off from bothering, 1 was the cost, somewhere in the region of 190,000 Baht, and the fact that if you had any problems with the "wrong people" you could still be deported. Cheers and good luck Arfur.
"This is not a rehersal,this is the real thing"
Vicco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 16:53
"Where on earth do you get the idea(false) that it is impossible?"

I said "just about impossible"....which is not quite the same as impossible.   I know it is possible.....just not very likely to happen for the vast majority of us.   In your earlier posts you seem to be suggesting that it was quite easy now.....and that as far as I can tell is simply not the case.  The language fluency requirement alone would do most of us in right from the start.    I'm still working on Sawadee....so I don't think Thai citizenship is in my future any time soon....Big smile

Vicco

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it." - George Bernard Shaw
rexall View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 17:17
Fri 1 Jun 2012, 4:09 pm
I know nothing about this, except that what has been written today seems to gibe with what I have heard all along.  It would be nice to have an informed update rather than a "He said-She said" spitting contest.

I would just like to chime in, however;  make certain you are clear about the possibility and ramifications of dual citizenship with your home country.  In the U.S., for example, it seems to be allowed, but I think that is some kind of "loophole" or something, and I don't think they really like it. I would be very careful.  The UK is probably less ambivalent about it because of the Commonwealth era.  Other countries may outright prohibit it. 

To to give up your citizenship, that is, to  relinquish your passport from a Western country would in my opinion be very unwise. 

XeReX
Kee Leum View Drop Down
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kee Leum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 18:25
Originally posted by ArfurDaily ArfurDaily wrote:

Hi Kee Leum & all. Many years ago i was quite interested in obtaining Thai Citizenship. 2 Things put me off from bothering, 1 was the cost, somewhere in the region of 190,000 Baht, and the fact that if you had any problems with the "wrong people" you could still be deported. Cheers and good luck Arfur.

Hi Arfur
The 190,00 is for Thai residency, which as stated before is now no longer required if you are married to a Thai.
IF you become a Thai citizen you cannot be deported.
Kee Leum View Drop Down
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kee Leum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 18:27
Originally posted by rexall rexall wrote:

Fri 1 Jun 2012, 4:09 pm
I know nothing about this, except that what has been written today seems to gibe with what I have heard all along.  It would be nice to have an informed update rather than a "He said-She said" spitting contest.

I would just like to chime in, however;  make certain you are clear about the possibility and ramifications of dual citizenship with your home country.  In the U.S., for example, it seems to be allowed, but I think that is some kind of "loophole" or something, and I don't think they really like it. I would be very careful.  The UK is probably less ambivalent about it because of the Commonwealth era.  Other countries may outright prohibit it. 

To to give up your citizenship, that is, to  relinquish your passport from a Western country would in my opinion be very unwise. 

XeReX
Rex, some good points. The Uk does allow dual citizenship -  the last prime minister had such. In the past, Thailand didn't allow it but that changed many years ago.

TerryLH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 18:35
"I mean that "it(residency permit)  isn't required like it used to be for starting the Thai citizenship process. My writing isn't that bad is it?"

No, your writing isn't that bad.  It's probably my reading.
But, you still have to apply.

"Many years ago i was quite interested in obtaining Thai Citizenship. 2 Things put me off from bothering, 1 was the cost, somewhere in the region of 190,000 Baht,..."

That is the cost of PR.  'Many years ago', PR was a requirement for citizenship.  A couple of years ago that was changed for men married to Thai ladies.  It was already an easier process for foreign ladies married to Thai men. They just evened the playing field a bit.

PR is still the route to citizenship for those not married to Thai Nationals.  Almost 200k for those not married to a Thai.  Only 100k, about, for those going that route who are married to a Thai. 

The government is just now getting around to approving some PR applications from, I believe, as far back as 2006.  I could be wrong on the date, but it is from years ago.

There is a current topic about that on another forum.

Terry

Kee Leum View Drop Down
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kee Leum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 18:36
Originally posted by Vicco Vicco wrote:

"Where on earth do you get the idea(false) that it is impossible?"

I said "just about impossible"....which is not quite the same as impossible.   I know it is possible.....just not very likely to happen for the vast majority of us.   In your earlier posts you seem to be suggesting that it was quite easy now.....and that as far as I can tell is simply not the case.  The language fluency requirement alone would do most of us in right from the start.    I'm still working on Sawadee....so I don't think Thai citizenship is in my future any time soon....Big smile

I believe it it quite easy for the majority of us -  so lets agree to disagreeSmile
You don't need to be fluent in Thai but have a good understanding of spoken/written Thai  - passing the Prathom 6 exam would be enough. What country doesn't have such a requirement?
I've know people to go to school for a couple of months to get to this standard.
Most people with a genuine interest in citizenship would, of course, be learning the language.
Anyone who has been resident here for say 5 years and has made no effort, would IMHO not deserve it.
The advantages of citizenship in the country you live are huge - no work permits required, no visas, ability to own a business, own land etc. It's definitely something I want before I retire.
My kids have dual Bitish/Thai citizenship, which incidentally doesn't help in my obtaining it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic